Military Spouses – Can You Take Your Career With You When You PCS?

As a military spouse, you’ve probably already encountered how hard it is to make good use of your education and skills when you and your family transfer locations. If your career requires maintaining a license or continuing education credits in order to work, you’ve also discovered how hard that process is not to mention how costly it can be.

Sure, it’s true that the fastest growing areas for job growth are computers, technology; education and healthcare but are careers in these fields portable when you move? If you are a Social Worker or a Teacher, will you be able to hit the ground running when you transfer to say, California from Florida or overseas from the U.S.? If you’re thinking about expanding your career skills or changing careers altogether, these are some serious questions to think about.

Unpacking your Home and your Career – 4 Compelling Ways to Minimize Career Downtime when you PCS

So, how do you maximize your current or newly acquired career skills so that they are transferable? If you’re already working in your career field or heading back to school, research how easy or difficult it may be to find work in your field when you move; wherever you move. Here are some tips to help jump start your research:

If your career requires licensing, find out what you need to do to ahead of your move to keep a valid license.

Teachers, Law Enforcement, HVAC technicians and Healthcare workers are required to be licensed to work in their field in all states and each state has a different set of rules governing licensure. When you prepare for transfer, in addition to getting your family and home ready to PCS, does some leg work about the job front in your new location. Make sure you are ready for what you’ll need to do in order to work in your field.

Use your skills and education to start new career or home-based business.

If you are a realtor, for example, think about jobs in commercial or residential property management companies or real estate brokerages. Your experience with contracts and general real estate law will be invaluable to employers because you can hit the ground running with relatively little training while working to get your state license.

Many state real estate boards have reciprocal agreements that allow you to hold a license without re-examination if you have taken and passed the same exam in your previous state and you’ve met all your continuing education credits, pre-licensing requirements and your license is in good standing.

If you are a teacher, look for jobs as a corporate trainer or explore starting a tutoring or home schooling business. While licensing requirements for tutors and home schooling vary by state, some for example, only require you to work in conjunction with professional evaluators in addition to providing the school district with progress and test results.